Jagdeep Singh Cheema is the son of Late Dr. Amrik Singh Cheema, Padma Shree Awardee. He was born January 1, 1954 in New Delhi, India. Jagdeep did his Senior Cambridge from St. John's, Chandigarh in 1969 and completed his Bachelors of Commerce from Post Graduate Government College, Sector 11 Chandigarh in 1974.
Jagdeep Cheema started his career in business in 1976. In 1982, he decided to serve the State of Haryana politically by becoming an active member of Indian National Congress.
Thirty years later, he quit active politics and dedicated most of his time to philanthropy.
He currently, resides in Chandigarh, India and is proprietor of JPSB Holdings. He is a founder and member of multiple organizations. Cheema loves to travel and has developed a global professional network over the years.
Jagdeep Singh Cheema’s grandfather Zaildar Kartar Singh Cheema moved to India after partition from village Badai Cheema District Sialkot (now in Pakistan) and settled in village Khojepur, District Gurdaspur, in the state of Punjab in India. He left all his property behind in his native village and started his career afresh in India. He planted and maintained orchards on the land which was allotted to him after the partition.
Dr. Amrik Singh Cheema (1918-1982), Padma Shree awardee son of Zaildar Kartar Singh Cheema was born on December 1, 1918 in Village Badhai Cheema in the Sialkot District, now in Pakistan. Dr. Amrik Singh Cheema usherered the post-independence agricultural era and contributed in harbouring the Green Revolution in India. A pioneer in agricultural extension in India, Dr. Cheema planned and implemented strategies that made the country become self-sufficient in food, an outstanding achievement by any standard.
With a Master's degree in Agriculture from Punjab University, India and a Doctorate in Agriculture Extension from Cornell University, USA Dr. Cheema started his career as an Agriculture Assistant and quickly rose to become
- Director, Agriculture, Faridkot State
- Joint Director of Agriculture, Patiala and East Punjab States Union (PEPSU)
- Director of Agriculture, State of Punjab, India
- Agricultural Production Commissioner, Government of India
- Senior Agriculturist, International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD)(World Bank)
- Honorary, Agriculture Advisor to the Government of India
- Vice-Chancellor, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana.
- Was tipped to take over as Chairman, National Seeds Corporation, Government of India, before his unfortunate death in Arusha, Tanzania in1982, on a consultative visit to develop agriculture and subsequently settle Punjab farmers overseas.